Senior Policy Officer (Air Transport)
Senior Policy Officer (Air Transport)
The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s
rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among
the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a new partnership worldwide. Its Headquarters is
located in Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.
In seeking to achieve these objectives, the African Union intends to strengthen its capacity to deliver by, among
others, the implementation of new organization structure and the filling of regular and short-term vacant posts.
The Commission of the African Union invites applicants who are citizens of Member States for the short-term
post of Senior Policy Officer (Air Transport).
Candidates from the following least represented countries at the African Union Commission are encouraged to
apply: Angola, Eritrea, Central African Republic, Cape Verde, Comoros, Congo (DRC), Equatorial Guinea,
Guinea (Rep), Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Madagascar, Namibia, Sahrawi Arab Republic, Sao Tome and Principe,
Seychelles , Somalia and South Sudan.
Job Title: Senior Policy Officer (Air Transport)
Post Level: P3
Location: Transport and Tourism Division
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Supervisor: Head of Division
Responsible for Air Transport Policy, planning, strategy and regulation and support to the work of the
Commission in the process of the implementation of the African Civil Aviation Policy and the establishment of
the single African air transport market
Air Transport Policy, planning, strategy and regulation
- Initiate the formulation of policies, plans of action, programmes and project proposals relating to the air
- Prepare and coordinate studies and research in the field of air transport;
- Organise and service workshops, seminars and meetings on air transport matters;
- Facilitate implementation, monitoring and evaluation of air transport projects and programmes;
- Facilitate activities of specialised technical committee(s) and sub-committees on air transport issues;
- Maintain working relations with Member States, RECs, AFCAC as the Executing Agency on the
implementation of the Yamoussoukro Decision and Specialised Agency of AU on aviation matters, AFRAA,
Advisory Institutions, other regional and continental organizations as well as with international partners in air
transport matters such ICAO, IATA, ACI and CANSO;
- Ensure overall management of the air transport within the Transport and Tourism Division including
preparation of its budget and liaise with concerned experts in conformity with relevant rules and procedures in
- Produce and submit periodic reports on activities and specific missions; and
- Perform any other duty as may be assigned;
- Participate in the technical, logistical and administrative preparation of meetings, workshops,
conferences, seminars, Africa’s aviation week and the drafting of working documents as well as the related
- Perform any other related task which might be assigned.
Support to the work of the Commission in the process of the implementation of the African Civil Aviation Policy
and the establishment of the single African air transport market
- Make sure the implementation of the single African air transport market is carried out taking into
account the spirit of the Yamoussoukro Decision by putting the following international policies and best practices
in the air transport fields into African context, including:
- Foster the development of a sound and economically-viable air transport system, by addressing the
challenges facing aviation in creating such a conducive environment and formulating a set of recommendations
for the Ministerial Working Group with the aim of developing an appropriate framework which will benefit Africa
air transport industry and improve the competitiveness of Africa airlines in the continental and global market
including the following critical issues:
- Consider Decisions of the African Union Assembly of Head of States and Government in civil aviation
- Contribute in the preparation of the Africa’s aviation week whereby aviation stakeholders including
African Governments and Industry, other concerned Stakeholders and International Partners may meet and
exchange on new developments in African aviation and shape the way forward. The event would also serve as
a fertile ground for exhibition of aeronautical products and air shows.
- Provide advice on the implication of liberalisation on technical aspects concerning aviation safety,
security and environmental protection as well as provide input to the framework on negotiation of air services
agreements with third Parties.
- Participate in the process of speeding up the establishment of the African civil aviation Court;
1. Required Skills and Competencies
A. Functional Skills
- Well-developed ICT skills including efficient use of word processing, spread sheets and other important
- Planning and organising
- Communication: Effective written, oral and presentation skills, particularly ability to draft/present
information in a concise and accurate manner; ability to develop consensus among people with varying points of
B. Personal Abilities
- Teamwork: Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to operate effectively across organizational
boundaries; ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people of different national and
cultural backgrounds with respect for diversity.
- Judgment/Decision-making - Good judgment and initiative, imagination and resourcefulness, energy
and tact, ability to ensure an effective work structure to maximize productivity and achieve Unit’s goals.
C. Knowledge and understanding
- Candidates must have at least 7 years of progressively relevant experience in sustainable air transport
development, air transport policy, planning, strategy and regulation as well as programme/project management
with a minimum of 3 years at supervisory level.
- Good knowledge of the functioning of the African Union;
- Considerable experience in regional and continental civil aviation issues including issues related to the
liberalisation air transport such as the Yamoussoukro Decision (YD) and its regulatory and institutional
framework, the Single African Air Transport under the Agenda 2063,
- Experience in civil aviation regulations related to aviation safety, security and environmental protection
to assist African States in the practical interpretation the implementation of the African Civil Aviation Policy in
order to enable them to meet the requirements under the Convention on International Civil Aviation,
- Experience in working with RECs, African States, Specialised Institutions and International Partners for
the provision of technical assistance/cooperation projects and/or air transport economy and policy, and in
conducting research on economic and regulatory aspects of air transport operations in civil aviation,
- Experience in working with global and regional organizations and donor/financial institutions for
- Experience in air navigation and airport infrastructure project preparation, implementation and
monitoring in the Region.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining databases on subjects relating to forecasting and economic
regulation of air transport.,
- Experience in negotiations of air service agreements and drafting of multilateral or horizontal air service
air service agreements tailored to African context respecting ICAO requirements;
- Experience in multimodal transport and interaction between air transport and tourism.
2. Education Qualification Required
- A minimum of University Master Degree in aeronautics, air transport economics, business
administration, aviation law or related qualifications. A higher qualification will be an added advantage.
- Candidates with first university degree will be considered provided they have at least ten
(10) years relevant work experience of which five (5) years must be at supervisory level.
3. Language Requirement:
Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages, fluency in additional AU official working language
would be an added advantage.
4. Tenure of Appointment:
The appointment will be made for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve
(12) months will be considered as approbatory period. Thereafter, the contract could be
for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables and at discretion of
5. Gender Mainstreaming:
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 35,300.00 (P3 Step 1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. post
adjustment (46% of basic salary), housing allowance (US$14,414.40 per annum), education allowance (75% of
tuition and other related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$7,800.00 per child per
annum), etc. for internationally recruited staff of the Commission
The applications must be made through the AUC E-recruitment Website
http://www.aucareers.org not later than 15th January 2017
Directorate of Administration and Human Resource Management African Union Commission
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
Regular (Long Duration)
Sign up for Job Alerts
Fresh graduate job: Junior TellerVisionFund Micro-Finance Institution S.C.Addis Ababa, EthiopiaFeb 21
5+ Manufacturing JobsHeineken Breweries SCKilinto, Addis Ababa, EthiopiaFeb 21
Multiple Hotel JobsHarmony HotelAddis Ababa, EthiopiaFeb 21
Senior Graphic Designer 3D; Senior Graphic Designer; Junior Creative Director; Creative Director; Account Manager; Copywriter; Account ExecutivesBerry AdvertisingAddis Ababa, EthiopiaFeb 21
Future Export ManagerMaranque Plants PLCFarm SiteFeb 21
Senior Policy Officer, Partnerships Management and CoordinationAfrican Union (AU)Addis Ababa, EthiopiaDec 31
Branch Manager | Senior Underwriter- Life | Nurse | General Service Transport OfficerTHE UNITED INSURANCE COMPANY SCAdis Ababa, Addis Ababa, EthiopiaJan 16
Senior Facility Management Officer; Senior Training Officer; Secretary/CashierOROMIA INSURANCE COMPANY S.C.Addis Ababa, EthiopiaJan 12
Senior Personnel OfficerMEPO Contracting & Management Services PLCAddis Ababa, EthiopiaDec 19
Senior Human Resource OfficersDashen Bank S.CEthiopiaDec 30