Resources Management Officer (Finance)
Resources Management Officer (Finance)
Closing date: 11 Jan 2017
Position Title : Resources Management Officer (Finance)
Duty Station : Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 11 January 2017
Reference Code: SVN 2016/141 (P)
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration
and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM
is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by
providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female
candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates
are considered as first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries: Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Congo, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Mauritania, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, United Republic of Tanzania, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the direct supervision of the Resource Management Officer (RMO) and the overall
supervision of the Chief of Mission in Addis Ababa, and in close coordination with relevant units
at Headquarters (HQs) and Regional Office in Kenya, the successful candidate will be
responsible and accountable for monitoring the budgetary, financial, human resources and
administrative functions of the Mission.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide administrative support in monitoring and overseeing the financial management for all activities in Addis Ababa including the oversight of financial expenditure and accountability.
- Undertake financial analysis of projects in the Mission in coordination with the RMO.
- Prepare donor financial reports in accordance with IOM regulations and established procedures in close coordination with the RMO as well as relevant units in HQs or Regional Office Kenya.
- Forecast cash flows according to activities in the Mission and ensure daily control of funds disbursed; ensure funding is received in accordance with donor agreements.
- Assist in preparing annual budget for the Mission, monitor budget control and report variances between budget and actual expenditures, and assist in the preparation of budgets for new programmes.
- Provide support to Project Managers throughout the project cycle to ensure compliance with IOMs ’policies and procedures and any donor-specific requirements.
- Maintain the financial reporting system to ensure timely provision of information to relevant units within IOM.
- Inspect payroll versus budgets, ensuring that salaries are correctly allocated to projects consistent with IOM's projectization criteria.
- Suggest procedural improvements and assist in training local staff in the relevant areas of administration and finance.
- Assist in the supervision of the Mission’s administrative functions, including recruitment, retention, promotion, separation, and other related activities, in accordance with the Organization’s policies and procedures in close coordination with the RMO as required.
- Work closely with other internal functional units of the Mission, as well as banking, donors and government counterparts and other stakeholders as required in the performance of the accounting function.
- Liaise with relevant units at HQs and Regional Office Kenya with regards to the financial activities of the Mission.
- Conduct regular monitoring and close direct supervision of sub-office Finance and Administrative activities including frequent travel to Sub Offices to ensure all transactions comply with IOM Administrative rules and regulations, in close coordination with RMO.
- Assist the RMO in facilitation of internal and external/projects audits.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience. Professional certification as Chartered Accountant or Certified Public Accountant is an advantage.
- Experience in finance, accounting and administration;
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports, supervise staff and coordinate administrative activities;
- Good level of computer literacy, in particular, experience in computerized accounting systems and software;
- Good knowledge of MS Office specifically EXCEL;
- Knowledge of IOM accounting systems, software and procedures. **
Fluency in English is required.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internals of the Organization and NMS candidates, as well as external female candidates, will
be considered as first-tier candidates. This vacancy is also open to second-tier candidates.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment,
accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment
system, by 11 January 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on
your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 22.12.2016 to 11.01.2017
Sign up for Job Alerts
Islamic Relief Jobs in Ethiopia: Finance Officer-EmergenciesIslamic ReliefAddis Ababa, EthiopiaJan 23
.NET DeveloperWave Business PLC.Addis Ababa, EthiopiaJan 23
Catholic Relief Services jobs in Ethiopia: Procurement Officer; ReceptionistCatholic Relief Services - CRSAddis Ababa, EthiopiaJan 23
Command Captain for Boeing 757/767Ethiopian AirlinesNigeriaJan 22
Command Captain for Boeing 737 NGEthiopian AirlinesNigeriaJan 22
Administration & Finance ManagerEthio National SchoolAddis Ababa, EthiopiaDec 07
Country Manager / Center HeadGlobal PlacementsAddis Ababa, EthiopiaOct 31
Customer Support Specialist - Part Sales Account ManagerBoeingAddis Ababa, EthiopiaJan 09
Country Manager / Center Head (Re-advertised)Global PlacementsEthiopiaNov 01
Administrative AssistantEthio National SchoolAddis Ababa, EthiopiaDec 07