Physical Therapist Technical Support
Physical Therapist Technical Support
INFORMATION ON THE CONTEXT
Ethiopia, with a population of about 100 million, is the second most populous country in Sub-Saharan Africa. One of the world’s oldest civilizations, Ethiopia is also one of the world’s poorest. At US$1800 (average for the 2007-09 period), Ethiopia's per capita GDP is lower than the Sub-Sahara Africa average. Over the past two decades, there has been significant progress in key human development indicators: Primary school enrolments have quadrupled, child mortality has almost been cut in half, and the number of people with access to clean water has more than doubled. More recently, poverty reduction has accelerated. The poverty headcount, which stood at 56 percent in 1999/00, fell to 39 percent in 2006/07. These gains paint a picture of improved well-being in Ethiopia. Notwithstanding the progress in critical aspects of human development, Ethiopia was a long way from achieving some of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) by 2015, given the country’s very low starting point.
Handicap International is operating in Ethiopia since 1986 and has implemented projects in the area of physical rehabilitation, mine risk education, community based rehabilitation, food security, HIV and AIDS, Inclusive Education, refugee response and capacity building of local associations of Persons with Disabilities (PwDs).Our organisation is currently working in collaboration with governmental authorities, Local/International NGOs and the National associations of Persons with Disabilities.
The main objective for Handicap International in Ethiopia is to ensure a controlled extension of the program by consolidating and build on our capabilities and resources. At the geographical level, it will be important to consolidate our presence within Addis Ababa, Dire Dawa as well as in the Gambella Region with its influx of South-Sudanese refugees.
Handicap International is currently implementing different projects oriented around the following fields of intervention:
Inclusive Education with an aim to develop a model of “disability friendly schools” that fosters inclusion of CWD in educational programs in collaboration with DPO, the Regional Education Bureaus (REB) and USAID funded organizations in Dire Dawa, Harar, East and West Hararghe, Jijiga and Amhara region.
Inclusive Disaster Risk Reduction with an aim of developing more drought resilient communities in East and West Hararghe in collaboration with CRS,ECC-SDCOH, and Cordaid.
Child Protection with the aim of decreasing child abuse and through the strengthening and creation of community child protection mechanisms in 6 schools and communities in East and West Hararghe.
The main objective of the position is to build the capacity of the HI project physiotherapist to be able to give and train and follow up closely local physiotherapists/health workers on “stimulative physical therapy”.
The main stakes of the post are:
- Organize and provide training for the HI project physiotherapist on “stimulative physical therapy”
- Provide training for health personnel on “stimulative physical therapy”
- Given “stimulative physical therapy” to beneficiaries in the presence of the HI project physiotherapist
- Coach and provide professional development sessions to improve the clinical capacities of local physiotherapists
- Facilitate information sessions for caregivers of SAM children
- Provide technical advice regarding design and equipment for the setting up of “stimulative physical therapy”
- Provide coaching, and on-site training for public and GOAL employed health workers
- Elaborate/adapt training modules for Ethiopia on “stimulative physical therapy”.
- Ensure the respect of HI technical frameworks and policies
- Provide occasional consulting and advice to other HI projects as required, given the low profile of physical therapy in Ethiopia
- BSc Physiotherapy
- A minimum of 3years of practice in physiotherapy, of which
- A minimum of 1 year should be in emergency projects or international development interventions
- Experience and comprehensive understanding of SAM issues, training and material development/training roll out
- Strong competencies in capacity building, training experiences and team work (animation and coaching).
- Strong capacity in partnership management and coaching
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Good communication skills both oral and written
- High proficiency in English
- Able to work in a multi-cultural team
- Able to live and work in basic conditions
- Good sense of humour
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, please follow this link : https://hi.profilsearch.com/recrute/fr/fo_annonce_voir.php?id=1862&idpar...
Closing date: 15 Jan 2017
Sign up for Job Alerts
Ethiopia RepresentativeChildren’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF)Addis Ababa, EthiopiaMar 28
Evaluation Research AssistantsJohn Snow, IncRobe, Arsi, Oromia, EthiopiaMar 28
Multiple Banking Job OpportunitiesNIB International Bank SC.EthiopiaMar 28
Multiple Bank JobsUnited Bank S.C.EthiopiaMar 28
English Language InstructorTexas International Study CenterAddis Ababa, EthiopiaMar 28
More from Handicap International
Project Final Evaluation - Inclusive Education ProjectHandicap InternationalAddis Ababa, EthiopiaFeb 18
Emergency Coordinator; Accessibility Officer Vacancies in EthiopiaHandicap InternationalGambella, EthiopiaJan 27
Product and technical support specialistIlex Medical LtdAddis Ababa, EthiopiaJan 31
Massage Therapist / EstheticianMelanie's Beauty and Wellness CenterBangui, Central African RepublicJan 25
Female Certified Professional TherapistLa Fayette Beauty & Spa CenterBahrainMay 18
Technical FacilitatorCVM-Ethiopia (Italian Development/ Volunteering Organization)Addis Ababa, EthiopiaMar 06
Technical AdvisorInternational Livestock Research Institute (ILRI)Addis Ababa, EthiopiaMar 16