Human Resources Officer
Human Resources Officer
The World Food Programme (WFP) is United Nations frontline agency in the fight against hunger, WFP is continually responding to emergencies. We save lives by getting food to the hungry fast. But WFP also works to help prevent hunger in the future. We do this through programmes that use food as a means to build assets, spread knowledge and nurture stronger, more dynamic communities. This helps communities become more food secure. On average, WFP aims to bring food assistance to more than 80 million people in 80 countries. WFP Ethiopia is working with the Government and humanitarian partners to strengthen the resilience of Ethiopia's most vulnerable population and to chart a more prosperous and sustainable future for the next generation. The Country Office also supports programmes that use food assistance to empower women, transform areas affected by climate change and keep children in school. It aims to contribute to Ethiopia’s five-year development agenda, the Growth and Transformation Plan (GTP), through which the Government combats food insecurity.
To support the delivery of a professional, client-focused HR services, partnering with managers to implement HR solutions in line with WFP corporate priorities.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Support HR operational activities or projects that are aligned to business needs, following standard processes and ensuring alignment with wider WFP policies.
- Respond to queries from managers and staff, understanding their issues and ensuring policies, procedures, processes, systems and tools are available and correctly applied to support them.
- Contribute to the effective management of the employment relationship between WFP and its staff, by administering conditions of service, contracts and appropriate entitlements.
- Support staff capability building, working with managers to understand individual skills and business requirements, and organizing development solutions which equip people with the skills and knowledge required to meet current and future challenges.
- Support and deliver onboarding activities to ensure new employees have a positive experience of WFP, and are successfully integrated into their new role and the organization.
- Provide support in building talent within WFP, working with managers to understand their needs and organizing solutions to recruit, retain and develop a high caliber workforce to deliver the business strategy.
- Support for organizational design activities that enable senior management to define and organize structures and jobs, and allocate people to the right places in order to improve efficiency.
- Collate data and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reporting, supporting a WFP wide view of HR activities that enables informed decision-making and consistent information for stakeholders.
- Conduct straight forward data analysis under close guidance of a senior HR Officer, in order to support others on projects or contribute to process efficiencies and improvements.
- Other as required.
Education: Advanced university degree in Human Resource Management, Public or Business Administration, Industrial Psychology or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience or trainings/courses.
Experience: Typically one or more years of postgraduate professional experience in Human Resources with an interest in international humanitarian development.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge of HR best practices, techniques and processes with some understanding of the basic theoretical background.
- Ability to support more junior and/or less experienced members of the team.
- Basic analytical ability to compile, maintain and analyse data, prepare reports and draw initial conclusions in support of work carried out by another officer; skills in developing sources for data collection.
- Good communication skills required to give and receive information and work with a variety of individuals.
- Knowledge of, or the ability to quickly assimilate, UN/WFP specific processes and systems.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English. Knowledge of the local language is added advantage.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit cover letter and updated CV and/or P11 by e-mail to:
(quoting the VA Number, position title and duty station you apply for in the subject line of the e-mail);
Where there is problem with connectivity, application should be submitted through Head of Sub Office. Only short listed candidates will be contacted. If you are applying for more than one post, please submit separate applications for each. (No other documentation will be reviewed at this stage).
Please ensure you indicate the duty station of the position you apply to on your application.
Qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.
Sign up for Job Alerts
Ethiopia RepresentativeChildren’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF)Addis Ababa, EthiopiaMar 28
Evaluation Research AssistantsJohn Snow, IncRobe, Arsi, Oromia, EthiopiaMar 28
Multiple Banking Job OpportunitiesNIB International Bank SC.EthiopiaMar 28
Multiple Bank JobsUnited Bank S.C.EthiopiaMar 28
English Language InstructorTexas International Study CenterAddis Ababa, EthiopiaMar 28
Senior Human Resource OfficersDashen Bank S.CEthiopiaDec 30
Human Resource OfficerEthioChickenAddis Ababa, EthiopiaMar 06
Human Resource OfficerDashen Bank S.C.Addis Ababa, EthiopiaMar 14
Human Resource OfficerAddis Ababa Housing Construction Project, Project 16 Branch OfficeAddis Ababa, EthiopiaMar 12
Senior Human Resource OfficerFrigorificoBoran Foods PLCModjo, Oromia, EthiopiaFeb 06