Job Title: Grants Manager
Job Location: Addis Ababa Ethiopia
Reporting to: Country Director
General Description of the Programme:
GOAL has been working in Ethiopia since the early 1980s delivering a range of Programmes focusing on humanitarian emergencies and long term development responses mainly in the areas of nutrition, WASH, child protection, livelihoods, and health.
Since 2005 GOAL Ethiopia has implemented a complex multi-sectoral Humanitarian Response Programme (HRP) that aims to respond in a timely and efficient manner to sudden onset crises country-wide, with a major focus on nutrition. Through this programme, GOAL has developed significant expertise in Community-based Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM), including capacity-building of MoH staff, nutrition surveys and assessments, community outreach, and therapeutic and supplementary feeding activities. Although the initial focus was on nutrition, over the years the programme has grown to include health (such as responding to disease outbreaks), drought response (including water provision, infrastructure repair), support to displaced communities, and agricultural actions (such as seed distribution). Our HRP is committed to ensuring that emergency Programmes are implemented according to humanitarian and best practice principles, and that responses are linked to crisis recovery and longer-term development work, and help mitigate the impact of emergencies through disaster risk reduction activities and building community resilience.
GOAL’s rural development programme focuses on livelihoods, food security, health, nutrition, and WASH, incorporating behaviour change as a key element of our programming. In addition, through local partners we implement a street children’s programme in Addis Ababa and Hawassa. GOAL Ethiopia utilises a strengths-based approach to all development activities.
GOAL has played a significant role in the response to the refugee influx into Ethiopia since 2011, when we began supporting Somali refugees in Dollo Ado camp. Today, with funding from BPRM and ECHO, GOAL Ethiopia provides comprehensive nutrition services for South Sudanese refugees in two camps in Gambella (Tierkadi and Kule), and two camps in Afar (Berhale and Asayita). In addition GOAL manages the comprehensive water supply and sanitation in Berhale refugee camp.
In 2016, in response to the El Niño-induced drought, GOAL Ethiopia expanded its operational presence from 25 to 69 Woredas and was operational in 6 Regions. GOAL Ethiopia’s current major donor partnerships include USAID/OFDA, UNOCHA, ECHO, EU, BPRM, and Irish Aid. We also receive additional funding from trusts and foundations, and through partnership with other NGOs
Overall objectives of the position:
To support the effective implementation of GOAL Ethiopia’s humanitarian and rural development programme
General Description of the Role:
The Grants Manager will provide support to the overall GOAL Ethiopia programme, working closely with various departments and in particular with the HRP Manager, RUDP Manager and Head of Nutrition Programme Coordinator who are primarily responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the respective programmes. The overall emphasis will be to ensure quality management of project activities. The GM will focus on programme development and reporting, comprehensive activity planning, donor liaison, partnership development, monitoring programme quality, with a particular focus on accountability and integration of key cross-cutting issues. This is a support/capacity building role that includes liaising with GOAL’s support departments (including Human Resources, Logistics, and Finance), as well as technical teams such as MEAL, WASH, livelihoods, and health/nutrition.
Strategic Development and Proposal Writing
- Contribute to the strategic development of the HRP and RUDP departments, in coordination with the Country Director
- Responsible for the development of proposals and consortium applications for new and continuing programmes,
- Work closely with RUDP and HRP technical staff (nutritionists, early warning, survey teams, livelihoods, WASH), as well as GOAL support staff (logisticians, finance, human resources) to compile information required for high quality proposals
- Identify new business development opportunities and opportunities for partnerships on consortium applications
- Work closely with MEAL team and Program Managers to support development of specific project results frameworks
- Responsible for the development of timely and high-quality reports for all donors.
- Draft sections of report narratives from scratch, as well as compile and edit information provided from field teams. Assure draft reports are reviewed as needed by GOAL programme staff in country, and at HQ level before submission to the donor, ensuring the necessary reviews and sign off are gained before submission
- Manage all internal and external reporting through systematic tracking of reporting deadlines according to contractual agreements with donors (including programmatic and financial reports), and HQ reporting requirements
- Maintain proposal and reporting calendar, ensuring all concerned are aware of the schedule and specific roles.
- In coordination with Compliance teams and GOAL Dublin ensure up-to-date donor reporting templates and guidance are distributed to all relevant project staff
- Work closely with MEAL team and Program Managers in reporting against results frameworks
Grant Management / Monitoring
- Serve as the focal point for grants between the GOAL Ethiopia country office and GOAL HQ in Dublin.
- Grant management including project opening/closing meetings, including scheduling, documentation provision, recording and dissemination of action points and minutes to the management and field teams
- Participate in budget monitoring and regular grant update meetings, to monitor progress and spend, as well as any change in operating environments to ensure timely achievement of activities and objectives
- Provide distance and onsite monitoring of programme activities to ensure programme quality and that strategic goals are achieved, with a particular focus on mainstreaming of cross-cutting issues and lessons learned
- Ensure all relevant grant information and documents are shared with relevant team members and grant and proposal files are maintained up to date
- Liaise closely with Donor Compliance Officers to ensure adherence to donor rules and regulations.
Communications / Visibility / Partnerships
- Liaise with in-country donors and key government agencies, providing regular updates on programme activities as deemed necessary; represent GOAL Ethiopia at inter-agency forums as required
- Develop and maintain partnerships with other agencies, and through consortium applications
- Work closely with Visibility officers to maintain high quality and up-to-date external communications and publications about GOAL Ethiopia’s programme and achievements
- Host and assist in donor, media and GOAL Headquarter visits
- Maintain regular contact with the GOAL Headquarters in Dublin, acting as the key point of information, along with the Program Managers, providing regular updates on project and programme activities
- Information Management
- Contribute to the development of strong data collection and monitoring & evaluation plans within each proposal, including work on log-frames and indicators, and ensure that project indicators are regularly and systematically monitored and reported.
- Assist Program Managers in organizing periodic evaluation and auditing, facilitate documentation of institutional knowledge and past program activities, and dissemination of learning
Other tasks as delegated by Country Director
Requirements: (educational, language, etc.)
- Master Degree or equivalent in Humanitarian Affairs, International Development, or related field of study
- Minimum five years of relevant working experience on humanitarian issues, including two years of experience working on large-scale, complex emergency responses in East Africa, including in refugee settings.
- Knowledge of key programmatic areas such as rural development programming and emergency nutrition (CMAM), WASH, and food security.
- Proven experience with building donor relationships and strong familiarity with two or more of the following donors’ systems and regulations: ECHO; Irish Aid; USAID/OFDA; BPRM; UNHCR; UNOCHA
- Experience developing and maintaining partnerships with both local and international NGOs
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken, very high level of oral and written English
- Extensive experience in report writing and development of successful humanitarian action/development proposals and consortium applications for at least one of the above donor organisations
- Strong verbal communication skills, including in English
- Able to coordinate the development of donor proposals and reports which require the input of multiple disciplines, and geographically dispersed teams.
- High level of understanding of project cycle management, including results-based management (RBM)
- Strong administration skills and attention to detail, excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritise work when under pressure; organised and flexible, ability to respond to changing priorities
- High proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and project management tools
- Budgeting/financial management experience
- Understanding of mainstreaming principles, including gender and child protection
GOAL has a Standards of Integrity and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organisation without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible
HOW TO APPLY:
Closing date: 31 Jan 2017
Sign up for Job Alerts
Economic Analyst/Writer to Contribute Weekly (ENGL) | Online PublisherNew PublisherAnywhereFeb 23
Administration ManagerPan African Chamber of Commerce and IndustryAddis Ababa, EthiopiaFeb 23
Amharic teacher for expatsSolAddis Ababa, EthiopiaFeb 23
Specialist, IT SupportEthiopian Agricultural Commodities Warehousing Services Enterprise (EACWSE)Addis Ababa, EthiopiaFeb 23
Associate, Central DepositoryEthiopian Agricultural Commodities Warehousing Services Enterprise (EACWSE)Addis Ababa, EthiopiaFeb 23
Executive Manager or Executive Secretary(fresh graduates can apply for this job)Real Marketers PlcAddis Ababa, EthiopiaFeb 02
Grants Management CoordinatorDanish Refugee CouncilAddis Ababa, EthiopiaJan 05
Grants Management CoordinatorDanish Refugee CouncilAddis Ababa, EthiopiaJan 03
GRANTS OFFICERJSI Research and Training Institute INCAddis Ababa, EthiopiaMay 24
Regional Programme Manager - Grants and FundraisingHelpAge InternationalAddis Ababa, EthiopiaNov 26