Assistant - Country Financial Controller
Assistant - Country Financial Controller
Concern Worldwide is an Irish-based non-governmental, international, humanitarian organization dedicated to the reduction of suffering and working towards the ultimate elimination of extreme poverty in the world’s poorest countries. Concern Worldwide- Ethiopia Programme would like to invite dynamic and creative applicants for the following positions:
Position: Assistant — Country Financial Controller
Reports to: Country Financial Controller (CFC)
Terms of employment: Indefinite Period
Place of Work: Addis Ababa with frequent travel to field
No. of Posts: One
Liaising with: Internally: CD, ACDs, Line Managers, Programme Coordinators, Partner Organization, and Donors
To assist the Country Financial Controller, CFC, in donor budgets & reports preparations, periodical Financial Report Preparation, Budget Revisions, Controls and staff Capacity Building. Ensure all relevant financial compliance and audit requirements are adhered while ensuring all donor data is accurately reflected in the system and reconciles fully to the general ledger. Provide support & guidance to senior managers, budget holders in donor budget preparation and utilization.
- Preparation of Head Quarter Budget Packs
- Follow up on timey submission of budgets and undertake review of draft budgets
- Compile Budget data into consolidation form.
- Assist the CFC in preparing and finalizing the budget pack
- Import the budget to the system (MGP).
- Ensure appropriate and updated soft and hard copy filing and documentation of the budget information exists.
Preparation of Donor Budget
- Liaise with Programmes and Prepare/update schedules of new donor budgets to be submitted during the year and ensure that no budget is submitted without the knowledge of the finance department.
- Review and document donor guidelines.
- Discuss donor budget requirements in line with proposal needs with concerned staffs
- Perform budget eligibility tests against donor guidelines! requirements.
- Follow up on timely submission of preliminary donor budgets by programmes (if any) and review.
- Assist the programme staff in preparing budget narratives, if required.
- Map donor budgets against Concern Chart of Account.
- Address any queries/feedbacks from HQ and Donors in consultation with CFC.
- Ensure appropriate and updated soft and hard copy filing and documentation for all donors
- Ensure that necessary donor reporting deadlines are met.
Preparation of Donor Report
- Liaise with Programmes and Prepare/ update a schedule of all reports to be submitted during the year. Ensure that no donor report is submitted without the knowledge of the finance department/CFC.
- Prepare donor expenditure report using the appropriate financial reporting format by taking into account donor requirements and guidelines for CFC final review
- Ensure that donor reports tie back to the general ledger and donor budgets
- Review and amend the final donor report based on the CFC, Dublin and budget holders’ feedback.
- Ensure appropriate and updated soft and hard copy filing and documentation regarding donor report.
- Ensure that necessary deadlines for donor financial reports are met.
Financial Reporting Package(FRP)
- Prepare draft FRP for review by CFC
- Assist in addressing FRP review feedback from HQ
- Properly file the final FRP after feedback both in soft and hard copies
Support audit processes (Internal, Donor and General Audits) and Controls
- Prepare ledger transaction list for auditors
- Assist the CFC in preparing financial statements for both general and donor audit
- Follow up the progress and actively assist the finance team during statutory and project audits
- Ensure receipt of audit report in a timely manner and documentation is kept for all audits
- Assist the CFC in implementing any audit recommendations and represent the finance function in absence of the CFC.
- Undertake periodic review of controls within the finance and systems functions in consultation with the CFC
- Conduct period field visits to regional coordination offices and field programmes in consultation with the CFC
Staff Capacity Building
- Participate in organizing training to finance and non-finance managers
- Provide on the job training to subordinates on regular basis including during field visits
- Coordinate induction on finance for newly joined
Qualifications and Experience Required
- Masters degree in Accounting/ACCA or bachelor degree in Accounting with minimum of 7 (seven) years or 10 (ten) years relevant experience respectively.
- Extensive experiences in managing the finance function of an organisation including managing staff.
- Flexibility and ability to manage and prioritise a complex and changing workload
- Familiarity with Donor Compliance Requirements and Local Tax Laws
- Minimum of five years NGO Experience
- Willing to travel to field offices
- Computer Literate and Fluent spoken & written English
- Report writing ability
- Financial management skills
- Experience with accountancy package Microsoft Great Plains is a great plus
- Good EXCEL/spreadsheet skills
- Knowledge of EU/ECHO, USAID, DFID, Irish AID, UN compliance requirements
Salary: As per the organisation scale
Closing date: 18th January 2017
Concern has a Staff Code of Conduct and Programme Participant Protection Policy which has been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants from exploitation and to clarify the responsibilities of Concern staff, consultants, visitors to the programme and partner organizations, and the standards of behaviour expected of them. Any candidate offered a job with Concern Worldwide will be expected to sign the Programme Participant Protection Policy and the Staff Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract of employment and conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions in these two documents
How To Apply:Interested applicants should send non-returnable C.V., application letter outlining how their experience and education fit this vacancy and copy of supporting documents to:
Concern Ethiopia, Human Resource Department
P.o.Box 2434, Addis Ababa
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted
Sign up for Job Alerts
Economic Analyst/Writer to Contribute Weekly (ENGL) | Online PublisherNew PublisherAnywhereFeb 23
Administration ManagerPan African Chamber of Commerce and IndustryAddis Ababa, EthiopiaFeb 23
Amharic teacher for expatsSolAddis Ababa, EthiopiaFeb 23
Specialist, IT SupportEthiopian Agricultural Commodities Warehousing Services Enterprise (EACWSE)Addis Ababa, EthiopiaFeb 23
Associate, Central DepositoryEthiopian Agricultural Commodities Warehousing Services Enterprise (EACWSE)Addis Ababa, EthiopiaFeb 23
Africa Investment WriterRelentless Investment Research, LLCRemoteFeb 19
Network EngineerEricssonAddis Ababa, EthiopiaFeb 23
Country OfficerIFC - International Finance CorporationAddis Ababa, EthiopiaFeb 02
COUNTRY DIRECTORGlobal Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN)Addis Ababa, EthiopiaFeb 21
Assistant Finance ControllerInternational Rescue Committee - IRCAddis Ababa, EthiopiaDec 23