Senior Operations Team Leader
Senior Operations Team Leader
Title: Senior Operations Team Leader
Location: Dimma- Gambella
Contract duration: 6 months
Posting date: January 9, 2017
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organization founded in 1956 that works in more than 30 countries throughout the world, including Ethiopia. DRC fulfills its mandate by providing direct assistance to conflict-affected populations, including refugees, internally displaced people and host communities. Under its mandate, the organization focuses on emergency humanitarian response, rehabilitation and post-conflict recovery.
DRC commenced work in Ethiopia in 2009 and currently provides expertise in shelter, WASH, livelihoods, protection and migration in the Gambella, Somali and Tigray regions of the country, as well as in Djibouti. Activities implemented by DRC are funded by money raised from the Danish public and by project grants from the Danish government and other bilateral and multi-lateral donors.DRC Ethiopia supports field offices in several locations - three in Djibouti (Djibouti Ville, Ali Sabieh and Obock) and five in Ethiopia (Dolo Ado, Jijiga, Shire, Gambella town and Dimma).
DRC’s operation in Gambella regional state currently makes up the largest portion of the Ethiopia/Djibouti program’s activities in both programmatic and monetary terms. DRC’s work in Gambella is focused on responding to the mass refugee influx into that region from South Sudan. Ethiopia is the largest recipient of South Sudanese refugees, which now numbers over 250,000 persons in Gambella, a significant majority of which are women and children.
DRC started operating in Dimma in February 2015, implementing a Child Protection in Emergency Program. The Dimma Field office currently has more than 20 staff members and the office is expected to grow as DRC may expand its operation into other sectors in Okugo Camp. Its sectoral interventions in 2016 in Dimma are Child Protection, SGBV, Youth Empowerment Livelihoods and Shelter programs.
POSITION’S OVERALL OBJECTIVES
In order to lead DRC’s support and operations functions (Finance, Administration and Logistic) in Dimma Field Office and Okugo Camp, DRC needs a qualified national staff with senior level experience in field operations and administrative management.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
Administration & Financial Management
· Ensure operational compliance and efficiency of the administrative, financial, logistical and IT functions within the Field Office and supervisory line management responsibility of the assigned staff;
· Ensure that DRC standards and procedures are followed as per DRC Operations Handbook;
· Ensure maintenance of accurate and comprehensive files in relation to all administrative and financial matters concerning inputs, outputs, materials, suppliers and other relevant and related documentation;
· Ensure appropriate financial reporting on all project activities, in cooperation with the Area Manager and DRC finance and administration staff at Addis and Gambella field office level.
· Mentor and build capacity of staff in these departments.
· Ensure that DRC Office/Residential compound is maintained, operational and safe.
· Undertake Human Resource functions including recruitment, disciplinary matters and leave planning in coordination with the HR in Gambella and Addis.
· Ensure compliance with DRC HR policy and adherence to the DRC Ethiopia HR Manual in line with the respective labor laws of Ethiopia;
· Supervise and line manage the Finance and Administration Officer
- Plan travel movements
- Ensure weekly records of logistics, fleet and tracking activities are prepared.
- Vehicle fleet management. Including ensuring safety and standard of vehicles, management of vehicle running logs, booking, fuel management and assignment of transport
- Reports: Ensuring the completion and compilation of monthly transport reports including the fuel consumption analysis of transport performance for Gambella fleet.
- Develop and maintain system for procurement including maintaining a procurement tracking system
- Ensure that all procurement procedures and documentation are in accordance with DRC standards and guidelines in cooperation with the Logistics Coordinator.
- Develop and maintain Warehouse systems.
- Ensure that DRC warehouses are managed according to DRC warehouse standards and records are kept.
- Manage DRC/donor equipment and assets and maintain updated asset list and issuing vouchers.
- Provide logistics support to camp activities when needed.
- Mentor and build capacity of logistics staff and other support staff.
- Supervise and line manage the Logistics Officer and Logistics Assistant
The Operations Team Leader will report directly to the Field Coordinator based Dimma. In addition, the Employee is expected to coordinate and work closely with sector managers, and technical advisory staff and liaise with Finance/Admin, HR, and Logistics & IT Units in Gambella and at Country Office level.
- Bachelors degree or higher in Supply Chain Management, Administration or other relevant field from a recognized institution.
- More than 5 years experience at senior level experience in NGO project management, especially focused on financial and administrative issues;
- Conversant with all MS-Office software applications;
- Strong planning, organization and problem solving skills with ability to work both independently and within a team in a demanding work environment.
- Excellent personnel management skills, including diplomacy, communication and negotiating skills;
- Experience in staff training and capacity building
- Results-oriented and demonstrated ability to build partnerships
- Fluency in written and spoken Amharic;
- Strong English writing and communication skills;
- Demonstrated experience of successfully managing projects on a sustained basis in remote and rural locations;
- Experience working in emergencies;
- Proven ability to setup successful and compliant logistics and procurement systems
- Experience living and working in cross-cultural and remote environments.
- Experience working with refugees, asylum seekers, mixed migrants, and/or internally displaced persons;
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the online application on www.drc.dk under vacancies no later than January 22, 2017.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.dk.
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit. It is DRC policy to recruit, hire, train and promote individuals, as well as administer any and all personnel actions, without regard to gender, race, national, clan or tribal origin, religion, age, sex, origin or ancestry, marital status, social status, sexual orientation, or status as a qualified disabled individual.
Sign up for Job Alerts
Economic Analyst/Writer to Contribute Weekly (ENGL) | Online PublisherNew PublisherAnywhereFeb 23
Administration ManagerPan African Chamber of Commerce and IndustryAddis Ababa, EthiopiaFeb 23
Amharic teacher for expatsSolAddis Ababa, EthiopiaFeb 23
Specialist, IT SupportEthiopian Agricultural Commodities Warehousing Services Enterprise (EACWSE)Addis Ababa, EthiopiaFeb 23
Associate, Central DepositoryEthiopian Agricultural Commodities Warehousing Services Enterprise (EACWSE)Addis Ababa, EthiopiaFeb 23
More from Danish Refugee Council
Livelihoods Officer; Energy OfficerDanish Refugee CouncilDolo AdoFeb 23
Legal Protection Coordinator; Protection OfficerDanish Refugee CouncilShire, Dolo Ado and JijigaFeb 22
Youth Empowerement OfficerDanish Refugee CouncilOkugo- DimaFeb 18
DRC jobs in Ethiopia: Safety Coordinator, GBV Response OfficerDanish Refugee CouncilAddis Ababa and Dima, EthiopiaFeb 06
Grants Management CoordinatorDanish Refugee CouncilAddis Ababa, EthiopiaJan 05
Network EngineerEricssonAddis Ababa, EthiopiaFeb 23
Africa Investment WriterRelentless Investment Research, LLCRemoteFeb 19
Resource Development Team LeaderWorld Vision EthiopiaAddis Ababa, EthiopiaDec 30
Packaging Team leaderHeineken Breweries SCAddis Ababa, EthiopiaJan 05
Finance Team LeaderPathfinder InternationalAddis Ababa, EthiopiaDec 14