Chief of Party
Chief of Party
Summary of the Position:
The Chief of Party – Ethiopia is a key management role in the USPPromoting the Quality of Medicines (PQM) Program responsible for the in-country management, strategy, development and implementation of the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) funded project in Ethiopia in support of the global mechanism for assuring medicines quality in resource limited settings. The Chief of Partywill provide overall management and technical leadership and direction for the project. He/she shall act as the primary point of contact with USAID and relevant government agencies, NGOs, and community groups with regard to day-to-day implementation and management matters relating to the contract.
The Chief of Party is expected to manage staff and subject matter experts in achieving project results and operations excellence. He/she will be responsible for evaluating and documenting progress (activity monitoring reports), managing design and evaluation teams, evaluating activities through consultative meetings and site visits, working out solutions to keep the activity on track and providing overall guidance and direction focusing the activity team on achieving agreed targets and long-term strategic objectives. The Chief of Party will have overall responsibility for assuring that all assistance provided under the contract is technically sound and appropriate for the needs to be addressed.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provides leadership, oversight and support to all aspects of the program including the development and timely implementation of annual work plan and activities that will help the realization of PQM's objective in strengthening the pharmaceutical regulatory, quality assurance and quality control systems of Ethiopia;
- Manages, supervises and directs the USP-PQM program and staff in Ethiopiawhile ensuring compliance to USP and PQM policies and procedures;
- Oversees the timely submission and approval of financial and programmatic reports to USAID;
- Promotes strong relationships with the USAID Mission, the government of Ethiopia and other non-governmental organizationsto keep them abreast of the progress on project activities;
- Initiates new projects/proposals to expand the activities of USP/PQM in Ethiopia;
- Negotiates with partners and stakeholders as necessary in matters related to USP-PQM activities in Ethiopia;
- Participates in developing and implementing dissemination activities to publicize the project achievements and results with concerned stakeholders and communities.;
- Work collaboratively with regional and other country program managers to improve regional and country-level capacity for pharmaceutical regulatory systems and representsUSP/PQM as needed in regional activities.
- Works with field office staff to ensure proper messaging is provided in the field to stakeholders about the need for country ownership and leadership to ensure sustainability of the pharmaceutical systems strengthened;
- Participates in the design and implementation of project policies and procedures as well as systems to ensure that the project will meet its objectives and expected results. Provides recommendations as needed to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of project interventions.
Terms of Employment: Permanent
Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree in a relevant field such as public health, international development or pharmaceutical sciences is required.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of experience
- Effective record of building relationships with governmental organizations as well as private and community organizations is required.
- Experience leading a USAID or international donor funded project
- Fluency in English is required.
- Familiarity with USAID regulations and administrative procedures in the implementation of donor assisted projects required – preference will be given to applicants with USAID-funded program management experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience in managing complex programs related to good governance, such as programs focusing on public administration, institutional capacity development, rule of law, transparency and accountability, and anticorruption
- Demonstrated proficiency in the field of people and project management, as well as strategic planning
- Demonstrated leadership skills related to complex program management, including multiple program components, relevant budget and personnel management, program planning, monitoring and evaluation, and achieving success in complex environments;
- Demonstrated ability to lead the in-country implementation of the contract, and manage program coordination, including host country government relations, client satisfaction, and integration with other projects;
- A high level of interpersonal and diplomatic skills to enable maintaining ongoing contacts with high ranking public sector officials. Ability to work effectively with government officials, leaders of civic and community-based organizations, and at building lines of communication and cooperation among them.
- High level technical skills and a deep understanding of the political and social context in Ethiopia, and prior experience in similar positions.
Managerial responsibility for all staff in the Ethiopia field office.
How to Apply
Interested Applicants should submit: application letter, CV, copies of degrees earned, certificates, awards and letter of recommendations.
Last date of submission of application: Ten days after announcement on Ethiojobs.net.
Place of submission: USP/PQM-Ethiopia, BISELEX Building 2nd floor, Bole Ring Road, near Metrology Agency, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Or by email: email@example.com Contact phone: 0116 611279,
Sign up for Job Alerts
Islamic Relief Jobs in Ethiopia: Finance Officer-EmergenciesIslamic ReliefAddis Ababa, EthiopiaJan 23
.NET DeveloperWave Business PLC.Addis Ababa, EthiopiaJan 23
Catholic Relief Services jobs in Ethiopia: Procurement Officer; ReceptionistCatholic Relief Services - CRSAddis Ababa, EthiopiaJan 23
Command Captain for Boeing 757/767Ethiopian AirlinesNigeriaJan 22
Command Captain for Boeing 737 NGEthiopian AirlinesNigeriaJan 22
Radboud Scholarship Programme for International StudentsRadboud UniversityNetherlandsDec 12
Country Manager / Center HeadGlobal PlacementsAddis Ababa, EthiopiaOct 31
Country Manager / Center Head (Re-advertised)Global PlacementsEthiopiaNov 01
Customer Support Specialist - Part Sales Account ManagerBoeingAddis Ababa, EthiopiaJan 09
Chief of PartyNASTADAddis Ababa, EthiopiaJan 18