Project Manager - Infrastructure , Multiple positions
Background Information - Job-specific
Under the guidance and supervision of the OH Head of Programme, the Infrastructure Project Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the respective project(s) and provides services to the different donors, partners and beneficiaries. He/she is expected to meet and exceed the organizations performance and delivery goals, in the area of infrastructure management.
Overall, the PM is expected to have immense impact on the work of UNOPS in the country by managing and supervising the development, delivery and closure of the respective projects across the country.
The Infrastructure Project Manager is responsible for all aspects of the project life cycle of the respective infrastructure project. S/he is responsible to ensure production of project initiation documents (PID), legal agreements, work plans, engineering plans, etc. S/he is required to maintain a thorough understanding of the terms, conditions, and the respective roles and responsibilities of the teams/partners/stakeholders to ensure the project products are capable of meeting the business cases for both UNOPS and the partners/stakeholders. S/he must be able to apply, with some degree of autonomy, the below duties and responsibilities of the project success criteria.
- Establish solid working relationship with the project board (Executive, Senior Users and Senior Suppliers), client and key stakeholders
- Manage communications and ensure stakeholders are aware of project activities, progress, exceptions and are in a position to accept handover management and project products
- Advise the client on issues that may impact the achievement of their outcomes (including issues of sustainability and post project requirements such as maintenance)
- Manage the information flows between the Project Board/OH leadership and the project(s)
Delivery and Performance:
- Create and implement approved project plans (including the establishment of milestones) within tolerances set by the project board
- Embed sustainability dimensions including social and gender inclusion, environmental and economic aspects into project life cycle.
- Manage the production of the required management and project products, taking responsibility for overall progress and use of resources and initiating corrective action where necessary
- Liaise with any external suppliers or account managers
- Advise the Project Board and OH leadership of any deviations from the plan
- Identify and manage risks so that maximum benefit to client and stakeholders is achieved
- Manage and review product quality and ensure management and project products are accepted
- Monitor and evaluate performance of service providers
- Identify and report potential business opportunities for UNOPS to supervisor
- Identify and report threats to UNOPS internal business case to supervisor
- Follow the Project Management Cycle Instructions and ensure that all organizational policy is complied with (Organizational Directives and Administrative Instructions)
- Prepare/adapt the following plans for approval by the Project Board: I. Project Initiation Documentation; II. Stage/Exception Plans and relevant Product Descriptions
- Prepare management products and reports, including but not limited to:
- Highlight Reports
- End Stage Reports
- Operational Closure Checklist
- End Project Report
- Handover Report
- Maintain the following: i. Electronic Blue File; ii. Procurement, HR and Finance files as required by those practices as per OD12.
- Ensure that all expenditure comply with UNOPS Financial Rules and Regulations (FRR).
- Manage budgets, cash flow and obligations to ensure that deliverables are met and payments to contractors and personnel are received on time.
- Understand and manage UNOPS overheads, allocable charges, and related corporate charges as they apply to the project
- Understand the unique structures of the UN and budget appropriately for personnel
- Manage and remain accountable for budget of the project (based on accurate financial reports), ensuring the committing officers and other relevant units/teams handle project finances as per UNOPS rules and regulations, and to the benefit of UNOPS/partner
Personnel Management (if required to supervise personnel)
- Lead and motivate the project management team
- Ensure that behavioral expectations of team members are established
- Ensure that performance reviews are conducted
- Have a thorough understanding of UNOPS personnel contract modalities (including ICA and Staff)
- Perform the Team Manager role, unless appointed to another person(s)
- Ensure safety and security for all personnel and comply with UNDSS standards
- Participate in the relevant Communities of Practice
- Actively interact with other PMs and the PM community to share case studies, lessons learned and best practice on the Knowledge System.
- Provide feedback to Practice Leads on policy, supporting guidance with an aim towards continuous improvement of UNOPS policies
Sign up for Job Alerts
Chief, Protocol, Visa and Liaison ServiceECONOMIC COMMISSION FOR AFRICA(UNECA)Addis Ababa, EthiopiaJan 18
ECONOMIC AFFAIRS OFFICERECONOMIC COMMISSION FOR AFRICA(UNECA)Addis Ababa, EthiopiaJan 18
SENIOR ECONOMIC AFFAIRS ADVISERECONOMIC COMMISSION FOR AFRICA(UNECA)Addis Ababa, EthiopiaJan 18
Communication OfficerInternational Medical Corps (IMC)Addis Ababa, EthiopiaJan 18
COLLABORATION, LEARNING, AND ADAPTATION ADVISORCARE EthiopiaAddis Ababa, EthiopiaJan 18
More from UNOPS Ethiopia
Human Settlements Officer – Urban Information and AnalysisUNOPSAddis Ababa, EthiopiaJan 14
Project Management Team Leader -InfrastructureUNOPS EthiopiaAddis Ababa, EthiopiaJan 10
Administration & Finance ManagerEthio National SchoolAddis Ababa, EthiopiaDec 07
Country Manager / Center HeadGlobal PlacementsAddis Ababa, EthiopiaOct 31
Customer Support Specialist - Part Sales Account ManagerBoeingAddis Ababa, EthiopiaJan 09
Country Manager / Center Head (Re-advertised)Global PlacementsEthiopiaNov 01
Administrative AssistantEthio National SchoolAddis Ababa, EthiopiaDec 07