Project Management Team Leader -Infrastructure
Background Information - Job-specific
Under the guidance and supervision of the Head of Programme, the Infrastructure Project Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the respective projects. Overall, the PM is expected to have an impact on the work of UNOPS in the region by managing and supervising the development, delivery and closure of the respective large-scale and complex infrastructure projects and sub-projects across the hub.
The Infrastructure Project Manager is responsible for all aspects of the project life cycle of the infrastructure projects. S/he is responsible to ensure production of project initiation documents (PID), legal agreements, work plans, engineering plans, etc. S/he is required to maintain a thorough understanding of the terms, conditions, and the respective roles and responsibilities of the teams/partners/stakeholders to ensure the project products are capable of meeting the business cases for both UNOPS and the partners/stakeholders. S/he must be able to apply, with some degree of independence, the below duties and responsibilities of the project success criteria.
- Establish solid working relationship with the project board (Executive, Senior Users and Senior Suppliers), client and key stakeholders where required
- Manage communications and ensure stakeholders are aware of project activities, progress, exceptions and are in a position to accept handover project and management products
- Advise the client on issues that may impact the achievement of their outcomes (including issues of sustainability and post project requirements such as maintenance)
- Manage the information flows between the Project Board/OH leadership and the project(s)
- Ensure project managers have a solid working relationship and regular communications with their client and key stakeholders
Delivery and Performance:
- Create, implement and review project plans (including the establishment of milestones) within tolerances set by the project board
- Embed sustainability dimensions including social and gender inclusion, environmental and economic aspects into project life cycle.
- Manage the production of the required management and project products, taking responsibility for overall progress and use of resources and initiating corrective action where necessary
- Liaise with any external suppliers or account managers
- Ensure the Project Board and OH leadership is advised of any deviations from the plan
- Identify and manage risks so that maximum benefit to client and stakeholders is achieved
- Manage and review product quality and ensure management and project products are accepted
- Monitor and evaluate performance of service providers
- Identify and report potential business opportunities for UNOPS to supervisor
- Identify and report threats to UNOPS internal business case to supervisor
- Mentor and assist project managers in best practices with the delivery of infrastructure products and processes
- Follow the Project Management Cycle Instructions and ensure that all organizational policy is complied with (Organizational Directives and Administrative Instructions)
- Assist in the preparation of and review of plans for approval by the Project Board such as: I. Project Initiation Documentation; II. Stage/Exception Plans and relevant Product Descriptions including those stages relevant to an infrastructure project
- Prepare and review management products and reports, including but not limited to:
- Highlight Reports
- End Stage Reports
- Operational Closure Checklist
- End Project Report
- Handover Report
- Ensure the following is maintained: i. Electronic Blue File; ii. Procurement, HR and Finance files as required by those practices as per OD12.
- Ensure that all expenditure comply with UNOPS Financial Rules and Regulations (FRR).
- Manage and review budgets, cash flow and obligations to ensure that deliverables are met and payments to contractors and personnel are received on time.
- Understand and manage UNOPS overheads, allocable charges, and related corporate charges as they apply to the project
- Understand the unique structures of the UN and budget appropriately for personnel
- Manage, review, and remain accountable for budget of the project (based on accurate financial reports), ensuring the committing officers and other relevant units/teams handle project finances as per UNOPS rules and regulations, and to the benefit of UNOPS/partner
- Lead and motivate the project management team
- Ensure that behavioural expectations of team members are established
- Ensure that performance reviews are conducted
- Have a thorough understanding of UNOPS personnel contract modalities (including ICA and Staff)
- Perform the Team Manager role, unless appointed to another person(s)
- Ensure safety and security for all personnel and comply with UNDSS standards
- Participate in the relevant Communities of Practice
- Actively interact with PMs and the PM community to share case studies, lessons learned and best practice on the Knowledge System.
- Provide feedback to Practice Leads on policy, supporting guidance with an aim towards continuous improvement of UNOPS policies
Sign up for Job Alerts
Economic Analyst/Writer to Contribute Weekly (ENGL) | Online PublisherNew PublisherAnywhereFeb 23
Administration ManagerPan African Chamber of Commerce and IndustryAddis Ababa, EthiopiaFeb 23
Amharic teacher for expatsSolAddis Ababa, EthiopiaFeb 23
Specialist, IT SupportEthiopian Agricultural Commodities Warehousing Services Enterprise (EACWSE)Addis Ababa, EthiopiaFeb 23
Associate, Central DepositoryEthiopian Agricultural Commodities Warehousing Services Enterprise (EACWSE)Addis Ababa, EthiopiaFeb 23
More from UNOPS Ethiopia
Project Manager - Infrastructure , Multiple positionsUNOPS EthiopiaAddis Ababa, EthiopiaJan 10
Executive Manager or Executive Secretary(fresh graduates can apply for this job)Real Marketers PlcAddis Ababa, EthiopiaFeb 02
Network EngineerEricssonAddis Ababa, EthiopiaFeb 23
Africa Investment WriterRelentless Investment Research, LLCRemoteFeb 19
Project Management Team Leader -InfrastructureUNOPSAddis Ababa, EthiopiaDec 28
JEOP Project Team LeaderCARE EthiopiaOromia, EthiopiaJan 30